Shoutbox

Author Topic: Copyright Infringement?  (Read 5200 times)

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
Copyright Infringement?
« on: 17 January 2013, 21:23:44 »
Someone at fox has waaaay too much time on their hands!! I should sue them for wasting my time...lol

Quote from: MediaFire
Dear MediaFire User:
MediaFire has received notification under the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") that your usage of a file is allegedly infringing on the file creator's copyright protection.

The file named BTTR + SE + Patch -2.2 + Mod-Pack French Installer.exe is identified by the key (y2zozh2m1ct).

As a result of this notice, pursuant to Section 512(c)(1)(C) of the DMCA, we have suspended access to the file.

The reason for suspension was:

Notice of Infringement via EmailTwentieth Century Fox Film CorporationP.O. Box 900Los Angeles, CA 9003501/16/2013mediafire.com http://www.mediafire.comAttention mediafire.com:I am writing to notify you about violations of the intellectual property rights ofTwentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and affiliated companies("Fox") on your service and to demand that you take immediate corrective action to ceasethis infringement and prevent further violations of Foxs rights.Fox holds copyrights and/or exclusive online reproduction, distribution, and publicperformance rights in the titles listed below, which are a representative list of thecopyrighted works owned by Fox that are being infringed on your service.We have included below examples of locations on your service where infringing copies ofthe Fox titles are available. As you know, you are not authorized to host, distribute, orotherwise make available or facilitate the making available of any copies of Foxs titleson your service.Fox demands that you immediately and permanently remove from your service all copies ofthe Fox titles listed below. This includes the copies available at the links below aswell as any other copies of these same titles that you are hosting.You can take simple steps to avoid the continuing violation of Foxs rights by usingreadily-available, industry-standard content recognition technology to prevent infringingcontent from being made available by your service. This technology both can preventunauthorized uploads of copyrighted content and can ensure that the same content that hasbeen removed from your service at the request of a copyright owner is not re-ingested byyour service. See Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd. (2005) 545 U.S. 913,939 fn.12 (failure to use available filtering technologies to diminish infringement isevidence of intentional facilitation of infringement).Furthermore, we expect that you are keeping track of subscribers/account holders thatengage in copyright infringement and are taking appropriate action to terminate theaccounts of repeat infringers.This email is not a complete statement of Fox's rights in connection with this matter, andnothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied waiver of any rights, remedies,or defenses of Fox in connection with this matter, all of which are expressly reserved. Ihave a good faith belief that use of the works in the manner described herein is notauthorized by Fox, its agent, or the law, and confirm under penalty of perjury that I amauthorized to act on Fox's behalf in connection with this notice. The information in thisnotice is accurate.Sincerely,MarkMonitorAsta Jasnait2600 W Olive Ave.Suite 910Burbank, CA 91505(800) 605-4853Email: antipiracy@dtecnet.comReplies to no-reply@dtecnet.com will not be received.Addendum to Notice of InfringementRepresentative List of Titles:TAKEN 2Examples of Locations Where Infringing Materials Can Be Found:http://mediafire.com/?tuwbsdmuytsfhttp://mediafire.com/?y2zozh2m1ct
Information about the party that filed the report:

Company Name: DtecNet Anti-Piracy Team
Contact Address:
Contact Name: DtecNet
Contact Phone:
Contact Email: info.antipiracy@dtecnet.com
Copyright infringement violates MediaFire's Terms of Service. MediaFire accounts that experience multiple incidents of alleged copyright infringement without viable counterclaims may be terminated.

If you feel this suspension was in error, please submit a counterclaim by following the process below.

^^Stupid file is way outdated but I have to file a damn counterclaim because of this statement
Copyright infringement violates MediaFire's Terms of Service. MediaFire accounts that experience multiple incidents of alleged copyright infringement without viable counterclaims may be terminated.

Morons   >:(

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
Re: Copyright Infringement?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2013, 21:29:24 »
Thank you Fox for being such dumbarses  ::)

Good luck for explaining that these files are a mod for an old game that has nothing to do with Evil Ruperts Empire  ;D

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2013, 21:49:45 »
I drew it out for them pretty plain...BTTR is...linked them to site, SE is....linked them to site...ect. And then asked them how any of the names belong to fox
After that I asked them to open the files and get fox to open the files and tell me exactly how they figure any of the contents belong to fox.

I also mentioned something about hoping they had a decent reason for filing this to begin with because I have half a mind to sue fox for wasting my time..lol

Offline jamotide

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2013, 01:47:30 »
I hate to defend Fox, but this seems to be the work of the DtecNet Anti-Piracy Teams tracking software. Searching DtecNet reveals some fairly interesting articles. It seems to be the official RIAA copyright infringement detector company.

Offline RichardShru

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2013, 19:18:48 »
Actually there's a couple of things you can do with this. First off, legally speaking, it constitutes harassment by way of: "...humiliating, intimidating or abusive [behavior] which is often difficult to detect leaving no evidence other than victim reports or complaints...This can take the form of verbal comments, engineered episodes of intimidation, aggressive actions or repeated gestures."

Which is on its own illegal. And by manufacturing a situation that places mental unrest upon your person, they are actively creating a situation known as harassment.

But suing a company for harassment isn't really that satisfying, so you could also use a 2006 communications law signed by George W. Bush to obtain the identities of the individuals undertaking this action by way of labeling the communications from them as spamming. In order for them to continue communicating with you in a legal manner after notification of their actions constituting spam, they would need to identify themselves by name.

Take into a account that I'm not a lawyer, but I am a college student studying law. So I would take any of that with a grain of salt. Not to mention that while the letter of the law is one thing, the practical application can be a bit more...diverse. But its food for thought.

quarterly
quarterly