Shoutbox

Author Topic: The empty tankard  (Read 3234 times)

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
The empty tankard
« on: 08 July 2013, 07:29:53 »
Due to a special request by General Chaos, I present now the empty tankard, our thread for sharing our latest experiences with alohol.
(Please note that this thread is for fun purposes, not real discussions. I know very well that alcoholism is no fun and this thread is not meant as an offense).
And now lets start with the best alcohol qoute ever:
Quote from: Casablanca
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2013, 17:07:27 by H.-P. »

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
Re: The empty tankard
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2013, 07:39:43 »
Yesterday I had some shots of Pech (german for pitch and bad luck).
Thats a special pitch black liqeur made with liquorice and some chili.
Very tasty and very dangerous because you forget really that you drink alcohol  ;)

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2013, 16:16:41 »
Yes, of course alcoholism is not funny, but don't worry, since I'm named as the requester for this thread I'm sure people will only focus on my apparent obsession with alcohol.  Speaking of which, let's move onto the important part of my post: alcohol!

That Pech sounds awesome;  I'm a huge fan of bitters, of which most commonly known is probably jagermeister.  If anyone enjoys jager and wants something a little more sophisticated I suggest Amaro Nonino.  It's probably the smoothest bitters I've tasted.  That said, my personal favorite is green chartreuse, a bitters made by Franciscan monks.  Supposedly it's the only liqueur that can actually be aged, and there's an aged version that's for sale for 200 dollars (US). 

Ok, that's it for now.  I'm off to locate some Pech.

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2013, 20:12:54 »
I tried a bunch of Alcohol in my younger years...most things I found absolutely horrid. Dark beer bitter alcohol is definitely NOT my thing.
The best of the bunch that I tried ironically had the most disgusting name. It was a beer brewed in Vancouver Canada (I believe) called Dead Frog
Their motto was "Nothing goes down like a cold dead frog" and I must say that I absolutely agree!

I do not like a lot of beer but these are the ones that I enjoy. Kokanee, Kootenay, and Cold dead frog

There is only one beer on my current list of havent had but must try and I'll have to import it from Australia when I finally make my way back home. Its called  Taverner's
The taste has just a hint of honey and is devoid of any harsh malt or hop aftertastes
^^My idea of a perfect beer!!!

All you Europeans can make fun of my taste in beer all you want. Vodka is my drink of choice. If anyone else enjoys vodka every once in awhile let me share with you the only brand you should ever have in your cabinet. Belvedere
^^Where I live Grey Goose is by far the most popular premium Vodka...but every person I have introduced to Belvedere now drinks it exclusively.

Well lets move on to my runaway a few nights ago. My uncle held a large family BBQ, about 50 people showed up. I started off drinking and playing pool with the cousins...consumed 6 or 7 Canadian/Kokanee. By 11pm everyone was pretty much gone that weren't spending the night so my uncle decided we should go to the bar because it was his buddies birthday. When we get there, there was a bellydancer. I was intending to cut myself off, but the atmosphere was a lot more fun then I thought it'd be so I ended up drinking 4 or 5 more pints of Canadian (that was all they had on tap). We stayed there until about two and finally got booted out by the owners. Pretty sure everyone would have stayed all night. The bellydancer had all the women up and was teaching them to bellydance. T'was a wonderful spectacle. When we got back to my uncles house there were a few younger cousins still up drinking around a fire pit in his backyard. At first we were all chatting and then one of my cousins pulled flour out and we all became a bunch of pyro's. I am not sure how I never heard that throwing flour onto a fire produces some rather large flames but it was pretty awesome.  We were doing some effects like you'd see in the movies. I probably had three or four more beer while we were playing around the fire and finally made it to bed at around 4:30am.

^^I don't think I've had that much fun since I was a teenager. Definitely worth the price I paid probably because it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting!
After watching that bellydancer I can't help but wonder if I can convince the old lady to join a dance class...hahaha. All those movements I just can't help but think that those women KNOW stuff that most women don't lol

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2013, 21:51:23 »
I have no problem with unusual beer, McCoy. I like belgian Kriek wich is a sort of cherry beer and another good example for a beer not conform with the old german purity requirement is Odin Trunk, a beer with honey. Its like a beer-mead hybrid, very tasty.

Vodka, I think, is a science for itself. The best Vodka that I ever drank was russian Beluga Vodka. My wife got a bottle as a present from a russian artist. She made some exclusiv presentation maps for him.
We drank it with a dear friend some time later. Icecold and pure, clear water in extra glasses to drink between the shots. Never drank such a good Vodka again.

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2013, 22:13:43 »
Vodka, I think, is a science for itself.

^^Agreed! The brand you mentioned is one of a very few I have not tried. It has been added to my list...

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2013, 23:00:37 »
Pretty much everything you two have mentioned sounds wonderful and I need to hunt it down.  McCoy, I'm in Ontario (though visiting Texas for the summer) so some of the stuff you're describing is probably around.  I'm not a huge vodka drinker but have recently explored some polish varieties and found that I enjoy it much more.  I think I just need to taste more to develop a better understanding of and appreciate for it. 

My personal spirit of choice is gin.  Unfortunately gin doesn't enjoy the reputation of being a fine spirit and there are only a handful of "high end" ones out there.  The most complex and enjoyable one (consumed straight) that I've had recently is The Botanist, a Scottish gin.  A lot of people enjoy gin and tonics but my preference is a Gin Rickey, which is basically sparkling mineral water, lime and gin.  It lets you actually taste the gin, which is important if you're getting something worth drinking. 

Ok, I think two posts in a short period of time is damning enough, so I will just let McCoy tell some more stories (who doesn't love belly dancers?). 

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2013, 00:04:20 »
^^Weeeell I may have another story or two worth mentioning  ;D
As a teenager I hung around with some pretty great people. Our generation just missed the huge beach parties as the police officers were really cracking down on public intoxication. Because of this a lot of kids my age were mostly into house parties. We went to a few and found that these house parties never seemed to end well and were full of annoying drama. So the bunch of us decided that every weekend we'd do a 6km walk around one of the lakes nearby. We'd walk about 1km to some really mild rock bluffs and drink the majority of what we brought. When we were sufficiently liquored up we'd begin the drunken march around the lake. This trail around the lake was not by any means an easy trek with rocks and tree roots jutting out everywhere. And to make things more fun we had a mutual agreement no flashlights allowed hahaha. Falling was pretty much a guarantee. Your buddy might catch you if you tripped or you might pull him down with you but it was always funniest when you pulled one of the girls down with you. Usually you'd get a punch and some nasty words but you might be on the ground for awhile if she liked you lol

Well I might as well get to the alcohol part of my story :D
It was just after we were at the rock bluffs and started around the lake and I was finished all my booze. I was really wanting another one and must have voiced my desire out loud. This girl named laura comes over and says she still has a few left and hands me a bottle. It was pitched black and I was too intoxicated to care what it was so I just cracked the cap off and took a big swig. It was the most foul tasting concoction I had ever put in my mouth. It tasted like poison....and without even thinking it spewed out of my mouth as fast as I had just inhaled it, and I sent bottle went flying somewhere into the bush. Then all hell broke loose. There was me "What the hell was that?" clawing at my tongue and running to lake to rinse out my mouth. Then there was laura running after me yelling "What the hell! Why didn't you just give it back?", and then some of my friends that were ahead of me that I may have sprayed the contents of my mouth on shouting obscenities and running after me too!!. At the time I didn't really notice anyone chasing me because all I could think of was getting that atrocious taste out of my mouth. But when I bent down to scoop some water into my mouth all of a sudden I went flying into the water and laura and one of my other friends ended up falling in as well hahaha

So moral of the story is to always ASK what people are offering to give you and if they say Sour Puss - Apple or any other sour puss drink (probably) tell them they can keep that hideous poison or else it may lead to some very uncomfortable situations ;D
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 00:16:29 by McCoy! »

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2013, 19:03:10 »
Wow, I need friends/family like yours.  Typically we just sit around drinking and talking nonsense and then fall asleep.  I will heed your advice on the sour puss stuff.  I think I've seen that; always looked suspect. 

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2013, 06:41:49 »
Yeah I know some awesome people haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4
^^hehehe

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2013, 20:30:47 »
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer...! My new anthem!  ;D

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2013, 21:49:27 »
^^Hahaha...I don't listen to many heavy songs but I've had that one on my playlist for years ;D

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2014, 19:58:03 »
Well this topic has been dead for a while but I suspect many of our alcoholic tendencies have not, so I'm going to share something that I found interesting, especially given a recent shoutbox discussion about vodka.

Check this blog out:

http://12bottlebar.com/bottles/

I'm learning a lot about different spirits and drinks, and they suggest that vodka actually isn't essential to a well stocked bar.  The link about the drinks that didn't make the cut explains it, and it makes sense.  I apologize in advance to any hardcore vodka supporters. 

Offline ElHazard

• Reputation Power:
  • Resident Troll
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2014, 02:55:52 »
I've learned a bit about liquor, while I can't say I drink a lot I can say I've tried a variety of many drinks.

My personal rules are

1. If it's not Jim, Jack, John, or Jose you're probably not hard core.

2. If you're drinking everclear you don't know what you're doing in life.

3. Wild Turkey isn't that wild, and only a southern gentleman can enjoy a lil southern comfort.

4. Rum like all alcohol is great at raising blood pressure, but nothing can make me sing a shanty like the Captain'.

5. If you're buying beer and it's not Guinness, It had better be cheap as hell else wise you've wasted money that could have been spent on the better choices above.

-This is a pro tip for women "Tequila makes babies"
« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 02:57:37 by ElHazard »
Forward, the Light Brigade!

Charge for the guns' he said:

Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

[spoiler]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/LightBrigade-Tennyson.ogg[/spoiler]

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
Polish Vodka
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2014, 03:48:47 »
What are we still talking about here? This is all you need in your liquor cabinet ;D
Imported Direct from Poland, the Country that invented Vodka (If you thought it was the Russians, you won't after drinking this stuff lol)

« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 03:54:14 by McCoy! »