Shoutbox

Author Topic: The guild boardgame  (Read 3758 times)

Offline honolulu0123456789

• Reputation Power:
The guild boardgame
« on: 13 October 2013, 14:56:46 »
Hey all together
this is an question I've thougt about a long time
wouldn'd it be nice if there were an boardgame of the guild?
ich searched for a long time but no game satisfies my wish of an nice
economic simulation in stile of the guild one maybe
so I wanna know how it is with your opinon
would a guild boardgame nice or not?

With friendly greatings

Honolulu

Offline Fajeth

• Reputation Power:
Re: The guild boardgame
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2013, 18:03:37 »
i had this idea for a long time myself and started doin this just for me ...

But the design is a tough thing, cause the guild is soooo huge, so because of that a boardgame has to focus on the real fun things.

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2013, 21:57:26 »
this is why i opened this post i think it's an good idea and nice to know that i'm not on my own at least we are two

i think the special point at the guild is that there are so many options you can choose to get rich and powerful
so there should be the most possible but build in simple rules so that the player knows the rules and can use all of them to get on
excuse me for my very bad english

Everone who is interestet in an guild boardgame should write his opinion here and maby we can convince the creaters of the game to answer our request with an nice boardgame

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2013, 23:40:33 »
Quote from: honolulu0123456789
maby we can convince the creaters of the game to answer our request with an nice boardgame
won't happen lol.
However it's not a bad thought to create your own.
Personally I love the game of thrones board game and card games. I could play them forever.
I am curious as to what ideas you actually have for a Guild board game. I am intrigued :)

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2013, 06:40:19 »
The idea of a The Guild Boardgame is not a new one. A community member proposed this many years ago but it was not realized. I dont know if JoWooD only disliked the idea or there where legal obscurities.
I like the idea of a Guild Boardgame and maybe we (the community) are able to create it. And I think its easy to get the Nordics approval fo a non profit fangame.

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2013, 11:52:33 »
Believe it or not this is something I've thought a lot about.  If people are really interested in this I can work on designing a rule-set as a foundation or just an example of how this could work.  I've designed a farming game with a pretty complicated rule-set and conceptualized some other games that have similarities to The Guild, so from my limited experience I think it's doable. 

The biggest challenge would be to capture some of the complexity of The Guild while still making the game fun and flow well.  It's also important to play to the strengths of board game play rather than just try to recreate the PC game experience.  With that said, it might be a good start to break The Guild into component areas and decide which of them would be ripe for inclusion in a board game iteration.  I suppose broadly speaking these would be economic, social and political life.  What are others people can think of?

edit: Oh, and if this became "a thing," would it be possible to get a separate forum section for it?  I suspect we'd end up wanting to have more than just one giant running thread for it.

Offline Fajeth

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2013, 12:27:34 »
You don't need to name it "the guild"-boardgame. I called my (still unfinished) game "The Intrigue" cause i think the most funny parts of the guild are the "dark measures" and the politics.

What gives me a headache is the economic part. I love the production system, especially the feeling of the guild's early game: Beeing the head of just one, maybe two workshops and produce the things, the city currently needs to gain maximum profit. But how to implement this in a boardgame? The more goods, the more complicated the game becomes.

i thought, it would be much cooler, if the players have to "fight" for the customers, instead of a system like: Produce that and get XY Gold for that. The customers would be individual "NSC"-cards, some of them rich, some poor, with different needs. I started with a system like: YY loves to buy: poems, a silver ring, leathergloves ... but maybe this would be unbalanced, and make the game more to a game of luck instead of strategy. So i thought more of general needs like: luxury, freetime  (church, inns, jugler) and health. This system seems more challenging for the players. Okay, it's not that realistic food and jewelry both beeing luxury, but its a game, so i have to simplify things ...

coming to simplify ... the more i work on this game-concept, the bigger the game gets. Its so tough to decide, what aspect of the game is really needed. Currently, just 1 turn can take forever. (Decisions i have to make: 1) Is the Player a individual SC, which means, he has skills, maybe levels, has to marry, maybe have kids, or just the head of a dynasty. 2) is there a "fight"-system (for assaults) or just a "you have been robbed; pay XY" 3) how the hell can I do a disease system? The only viable solution for me seems to be a random eventsystem ...)

Which brings me to the next big problem: Whats actually the goal? How can a player win?

I think, beeing the head of the town could be a cool ending; extinct the other players seems 1) hard to achieve in 60-90 minutes 2) i dont like the idea of "killing" a player, who has to sit and watch till the end of the game.

all this is just the concept. I haven't even started thinking of design (cards/ board ...)

you see, a guild boardgame, thats a huge project ;) But although it gives me headaches and consumes sooooo much time, i actually like working on these (concept) problems. My biggest fear though is, that my friends, who dont know The Guild, wont like the game and all the time is wasted. Well, but if i am done, i may share the game(concept) with you. Well, someone would have to translate it from german to english, cause i think, i wouldn't have the motivation to do that :D

cheers

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2013, 13:40:37 »
Ohh it's nice to know that your concept is on german thats easy for me xD
so i think some social stuff like church or drinking should bring you an advantage ore disadvantage and every action
should cost action points every round you get some but not even more than for example 20
so you can control that a round get not too long and that player have to choose wisely what action they do

to the +/- about doing some stuff maybe you go to a bar that makes you for example a little bit more popular because of having a nice talk with some other persons but the action card you took say that you are drunk so you loose some action points more

yes i know this part is real close to the guild one part but i think it's not a bad part

you're right with saying that killing an other player shouldnt be possible so i think in this case we should also look at the guild one

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2013, 15:28:33 »
One thing that I think would definitely fit with TG boardgame would be a separate character card/sheet.  Has anyone played Arkham Horror?  It does a good job of allowing character stats/skills to fluctuate based on game events, and they're represented really well on the character sheet.  Something similar would allow all kinds of stats to be tracked (like reputation, wealth, and skills).

Turn based actions that use action points is a great idea.  There could basically be a map on the board where players could "build" their initial workplace and then they would use action points there and at other town buildings to perform different actions.  Really I'm thinking in this regard Arkham Horror really would be a decent model.

Personally I would make the game co-operative/competitive.  You could play "against" the game by trying to get the city to a certain level before time ran out, with random events happening that make this difficult.  There could even be different scenarios with their own rules and goals. 

It's exciting (and overwhelming) to think about.

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2013, 20:54:46 »
maybe all social actions should be written on cards
the board creation should be like the one of the boardgame from civilization i hope you know it
it's my favorit boardgame
the town is build out of diferent cartons you can shoos some of them an creat an city with building and marketplaces and the cars you have should have an reache that you can send every round send all cars for example to the market but than they have used all movepoints an you have to wait to your next turn the buildings should still cost money and some actions too or they can bring an special effect

pleas correct me if i say that we nead one who is trying to work on using our ideas
we need an concept and some guy's that are neer together or even better they should know each other so that they can if it's not to expensive and cost to much time they can creat an idea but my fear is that someone say hey guys i make that but i want ... euro
that wouldn't be nice

so on

let's try to catch our thougts and opinion

Honolulu

Offline Fajeth

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2013, 01:57:32 »
no offense but: man use .,: next time plz :)

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2013, 07:20:05 »
sorry! I'm chatting to often, so sometime I forget it.

But let's stay at our project

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2013, 10:10:21 »
I talked with Megalomaniac from NordicGames and he confirmed that they have no problem with a Guild Boardgame as long as it is a completely non profit fan project  ;)

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2013, 12:07:22 »
that's good! Otherwise we had to give them a big pease of the cake, but i think it's ok for everyone if we do it without taking profit.

For me it's just because of the game, not because of money.

I think, we should collect ideas for the goals! One target is to get an special number of money

ore political position, also it would be nice to get an special number of total accest

quarterly