Shoutbox

Author Topic: Next patch  (Read 31325 times)

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
Re: Next patch
« Reply #60 on: 25 April 2013, 16:48:59 »
Your comment proves that you have no idea what coding really means. Just to spend an hour or two doesn´t change anything.
Codeworks with the malevolent Guild II code need much more time just for the slightest changes. Its not a matter of what we want to do, its a matter of whats possible.
To interrupt your work at the office and write a comment here is another thing than having the needed time to code.
And we already tried to add new members to help us but all attempts failed.

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
« Reply #61 on: 25 April 2013, 18:33:46 »
They come here and write from time to time but that's it. I know they are doing this on their free time but at least like 1 hour a week should do it. And if they don't want to do this they should not take responsibility and pass the work to people and do. I would love to but me and gaming-codes don't fit :/ .

As HP already said, coding sessions of less than 3-4 hours aren't worth that much, especially if you don't do them regularly (you have to read into the code again). Also debugging The Guild 2 is really awful, sometimes I was "playing" the game for several hours just to confirm a bug has been fixed (and 3 others generated).
Currently there's one programmer able to work with the code and that's me. We tried recruiting 2 other C++ programmers but it didn't work out as planned. We also can't just release the codes for legal issues (there is a lot of stuff packed with the code that's subject to certain contracts - not only with Nordic Games but also with 3rd parties).

So currently there's no work on a patch, sorry. :( That doesn't mean that there won't be any more patches at all, tho.

Offline ThePirateOfLand

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #62 on: 26 April 2013, 13:28:44 »
Your comment proves that you have no idea what coding really means. Just to spend an hour or two doesn´t change anything.
Codeworks with the malevolent Guild II code need much more time just for the slightest changes. Its not a matter of what we want to do, its a matter of whats possible.
To interrupt your work at the office and write a comment here is another thing than having the needed time to code.
And we already tried to add new members to help us but all attempts failed.

You're correct I don't have a idea that's why I posted the comment.

As HP already said, coding sessions of less than 3-4 hours aren't worth that much, especially if you don't do them regularly (you have to read into the code again). Also debugging The Guild 2 is really awful, sometimes I was "playing" the game for several hours just to confirm a bug has been fixed (and 3 others generated).
Currently there's one programmer able to work with the code and that's me. We tried recruiting 2 other C++ programmers but it didn't work out as planned. We also can't just release the codes for legal issues (there is a lot of stuff packed with the code that's subject to certain contracts - not only with Nordic Games but also with 3rd parties).

So currently there's no work on a patch, sorry. :( That doesn't mean that there won't be any more patches at all, tho.

Well I at least hope that I will still play The Guild 2 when you do release the patch because if am not mistaken there haven't been one for around 2 years? I might be wrong.

Have a nice day, am gonna go play Scholar now... Btw I haven't played Scholar so much but what is the problem with money lender/lending building????

Offline zelxi

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2013, 23:22:36 »
They come here and write from time to time but that's it. I know they are doing this on their free time but at least like 1 hour a week should do it. And if they don't want to do this they should not take responsibility and pass the work to people and do. I would love to but me and gaming-codes don't fit :/ .

:(

Every now and then, I come back to this game and can be sitting here playing for hours, before I realize a whole day just passed. This game is truly unique, I hope someday it gets more attention and the care it needs, maybe Nordic Games steps in and helps out, who knows... But thank you kind sir for sticking around here in this community and keeping your hopes up :).

Offline Orfevs

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2013, 23:43:03 »
Has anyone approached Nordic Games with the notion of making this open source?
I can't quite see that they'll gain anything from this bug ridden game unless they actually put up some money to get things fixed.

If they're being stubborn, there's always the way of remaking the source under GPL license while using the data from the gamedisk as is done with OpenXCom.

Offline Oldballs

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2013, 05:43:46 »

I hope you can keep the fire burning. This game is one of the best games I've ever played. Perhaps some community members could help? Perhaps the source could be released? Who makes the money from sales on this? Nordic? JoWooD? Quite often I feel this empty pit over how this game is being shelved, but I guess it's not all bad because that feeling has inspired me to learn programming lol. I'm two weeks into this endeavor and my brain is fried *boom*. I just hope maybe you can find that love for this game again and give it some love. Perhaps even release more into modders domain? I don't know, but I can empathize and am grateful for 4.17b.

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2013, 10:40:44 »

I hope you can keep the fire burning. This game is one of the best games I've ever played. Perhaps some community members could help? Perhaps the source could be released? Who makes the money from sales on this? Nordic? JoWooD? Quite often I feel this empty pit over how this game is being shelved, but I guess it's not all bad because that feeling has inspired me to learn programming lol. I'm two weeks into this endeavor and my brain is fried *boom*. I just hope maybe you can find that love for this game again and give it some love. Perhaps even release more into modders domain? I don't know, but I can empathize and am grateful for 4.17b.
I asked many years ago the same questions. The source code will never be released. F.H. states as much in his comments above regarding contracts with not only Nordic Games but also third parties. Also would like to point out that Renaissance started out as a FREE mod. I have always believed that the Ren team needed the source code to implement the changes and bug fixes the game needed and the only way JoWood would allow them to do this was sign a contract. I can guarantee you these people tried to get the source code released already and it is simply not going to happen.

As far as modding goes anything is possible and all the best tools are free to download (notpad++, luaedit, gimp...ect). I've added assassinations, the ability to accuse a witch and burn her at the stake, bribe the guards, and also attempted to bring balance into some aspects of the game (Harsher consequences for killing a judge to avoid trial)...you can do pretty much anything you want but people just need to take the time to learn instead of trying to pass it on to someone else! Help each other out :)

quarterly