Shoutbox

Author Topic: Why don't give a estimated releasedate?  (Read 7024 times)

Offline rocky_4r

• Runeforge Game Studio
  • Reputation Power:
Why don't give a estimated releasedate?
« on: 28 September 2011, 22:12:42 »
We started a very intresting discussion in the shoutbox about why we cannot give an estimated release date of kontor. there were some good ideas so if anyone has somthing to add he can write it down here. your feedback is, as always, appreciated.

Here you go with the history of this discussion:

Heute um 21:27:39  Roh: 'When it's done' always seemed insulting to the developers supporters.  Never understood why they couldnt's say 'It will likely take until suchsnsuch and likely longer' instead?

Heute um 21:39:20  rocky_4r: well ok... here you are then: It will likely take until suchsnsuch and likely longer

Heute um 21:40:13  rocky_4r: satisfied? :P

Heute um 21:48:03  Roh: :p suchnsuch was supposed to be replaced with an intelligent estimate of the least possible time it could take. Somehow I doubt that is the best your intellect can summon up. :|

Heute um 21:49:47  Roh: In just about any other industry if someone tried to get away with 'when it's done' they would be fired/lose all their customers. And possibly get the crap kicked out of them. Only you game devs get away with it on a regular basis that I am aware of.

Heute um 21:50:52  tvr1: so what about photos?

Heute um 21:52:08  tvr1: Developers...Gild2 publisher in Russia is the company Russobit-M

Heute um 21:53:29  tvr1: http://www.russobit-m.ru/   they can issue a "Kontor" in Russia. And translate it into Russian. and it will be successfully marketed in the CIS.

Heute um 21:53:53  rocky_4r: Intermission: THUNDER! THUNDER! THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOO!!!

Heute um 21:54:02  rocky_4r: Intermission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufXf67qBcc

Heute um 21:54:53  rocky_4r: Back to main program: @Roh: well the least possible time it could take? how about year 2999? maybe the sun melts the planet and we all die :D

Heute um 21:56:52  Roh: LoL If that is really the fastest you guys could possibly get this project done you may want to find something more reasonable to spend your lives on.

Heute um 21:57:58  rocky_4r: no seriously, we don't give dates, because it is nearly impossible to predict when we are done, as we all work in our free time on kontor

Heute um 21:59:00  rocky_4r: so if you wanna a date i just give you the frase from our FAQ: Please don't expect Kontor to be available before 2012.

Heute um 22:00:13  rocky_4r: oh, may i add a phrase you gave me before? "and likely longer" :P

Heute um 22:00:26  Roh: 2012 is better then a lot of devs do.  Would be a bit more kind if you all could say don't expect to see it before early mid late 2012. And then update it if it looks like the estimate will take longer.

Heute um 22:01:32  Roh: Gives your fans a better sense of what to expect. And it still wouldnt exactly tie you all down to a date. If you say late 2012 and update it to the next year by mid 2012.. that is more then fair warning.

Heute um 22:02:24  tvr1: Roh I agree with you!

Heute um 22:03:24  rocky_4r: sure but exaclty that is our problem... if we say late 2012 and have to correct it to late 2013 then a lot of our fans will be very disapointed... so we try to avoid clear dates to keep our fans happy

Heute um 22:05:29  rocky_4r: we have a better solution: as soon as the game has reached a state where we can share some news with you we will do this... so you can provide feedback and you can se yourself where we are and estimate a release date yourself :)

Heute um 22:07:10  Roh: Your fans are disappointed every day they don't get to play the game. They wouldn't be fans otherwise. I would rather be an informed but disappointed fan then a clueless and disappointed fan. At least that is how I see it.

Heute um 22:07:44  tvr1: Hey Rocky) Take it easy) Come with me take Roh. And let's go drink beer!) My treat)

Heute um 22:09:02  rocky_4r: and we will keep you informed with the progress of the game... we just can't provide a real release date... we are in early developement now... so all i can do is ask you to come back later where we have something to show you...

Heute um 22:09:05  Roh: Hmm. Im not excited or upset. Just sharing opinions. I wasn't under the impression rocky was either. Sorry if you were and I didn't notice, rocky.

Offline tvr1

• Reputation Power:
Re: Why don't give a estimated releasedate?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2011, 22:18:09 »
Did you know that sometimes a renaissance during the save game crashes ...?
I save the game - and crashes the game. Sometimes it works to keep. Sometimes not.Did you know that sometimes a renaissance during the save game crashes ...?
I save the game - and crashes the game. Sometimes it works to keep. Sometimes not.

I hope the patch 4.18-19-20-21 ... which will be released in the future .. this is corrected.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2011, 11:37:04 by H.-P. »

Offline Roh

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2011, 22:25:10 »
Thank you very much for giving my opinion real consideration. Enough to even seek further opinions on the subject. Inspires faith in Runeforge Studios as a whole.

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2011, 06:08:24 »
Did you know that sometimes a renaissance during the save game crashes ...?
I save the game - and crashes the game. Sometimes it works to keep. Sometimes not.Did you know that sometimes a renaissance during the save game crashes ...?
I save the game - and crashes the game. Sometimes it works to keep. Sometimes not.

I hope the patch 4.18-19-20-21 ... which will be released in the future .. this is corrected.

For the future, please stay on topic  ;)

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2011, 09:58:35 »
Estimated release date is late 2012 until mid 2013, if everything goes well. Maybe there will be pre-releases, maybe not. I don't even know if we can hold 2012/2013, because, as Rocky already told you, most of you have jobs and can only work on Renaissance in our free time.

Offline tvr1

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2011, 10:10:13 »
Get together and create at last Kontor. Games that are similar to yours, do not!) Do you understand?) Nobody even thought of not releasing such simulators) Let's create it and finally go to sell)) earn millions of dollars and take over the world))

Offline Roh

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2011, 14:40:31 »
Estimated release date is late 2012 until mid 2013, if everything goes well. Maybe there will be pre-releases, maybe not. I don't even know if we can hold 2012/2013, because, as Rocky already told you, most of you have jobs and can only work on Renaissance in our free time.

Hmm, that being said.. Do you all have a news letter? I only just signed up over here.

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2011, 15:07:34 »
Hmm, that being said.. Do you all have a news letter? I only just signed up over here.

Yep :)
http://runeforge-games.net/index.php?id=96

Or you can also click the "like button" on kontor-game.com, there will be updates in our Facebook page too.. Some times.. Hopefully :D
« Last Edit: 29 September 2011, 15:11:38 by FH »

Offline Roh

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2011, 23:12:51 »
Oddly won't let me sign up for the news letter. Go figure.

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2011, 12:07:25 »

I just tried it again and it works, what is the error message you get?

Offline heerrink

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2011, 13:27:25 »

I just tried it again and it works, what is the error message you get?

Look, if the Guild 2 did the same with more error messages.
The fixes where easier to make XD

Offline subzero22

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2011, 14:09:14 »
Allthough I would love to have an estimated release date myself. At the same time I don't mind not having one. This way if they did have one then a problem came up on they day before or even the day of release a lot of people would get pissed as other games have done this. Latest game I know that did this was Payday and the forums were filled with complaints. So not having a release date is better than not having a buggy or unfinished game and have to postpone the release or deal with a bunch of bugs that could have been avoided.

Offline aceman48

• Reputation Power:
  • All things are difficult before they are easy.
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2012, 06:35:06 »
will be a RPG cause i like to do what ever i want not tied down to a main story line..  ;D just saying... will there be donuts...love donuts if they had cakes back than.. than they should have donuts right? 
All things are difficult before they are easy.