Shoutbox

Author Topic: Importance of a full city council.  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Ethabrowne@gmail.com

• Reputation Power:
Importance of a full city council.
« on: 16 August 2014, 21:38:41 »
So i forget the map name its the big one with london and the other 3 cities.  I ended up picking bergen because it had ore and stones with no mine built.  Now im mayor, with most of the shops under my control.   Im noticing only a few people will run for things.  My theory is im not getting new people on council because i own almost all the stores.  Im assuming an npc need to be a dynasty with a house or have property in the city confines.

SO now im torn.  Sell the stores i don't need so i can get land owners on the council?  Or am i better off having my 3 groups members as the top 3 dogs.  I eventually need to relocate to the capitol, but i plan to get filthy rich first.   Will having a full council help me?  From what i have seen so far it looks like they will only work against me.       

Recent example of what make me question keeping them.  I managed to get enough evidence on the guy who has the thieves guild in my town.  Obviously i need to him out.  My first guy died, now my two sons are Mayor and captain, with the npc being the guy next to captain.  I take the thief guilds npc guy to court charge him while the penalty is severe.  The npc on council votes no for execution making it 2 to 1 foiling my plans to kill the thief.  This dude obviously is bad news for the town and my fellow council member betrayed me to let him live.  He has earned a death in the near future.

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
Re: [REL][Beta] Legacy ModPack Install Thread
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2014, 04:37:17 »
^^If you own the entire town or kill on a regular basis then you will eventually not have anyone left to run for office in that town

That can be good or bad depending on what you are trying to accomplish...

The game is sandbox which is why I love it so much :)
For me who always plays rogue I've found killing is the last thing I want to do and only do it if it serves some purpose. For a rogue no competitors equals no money.
I break bones (revenge), torture (to get false evidence so I can blackmail them) and use duels.

As far as the political tree goes...again its all what you want. I like holding the top three offices myself but you can legally take possession of run down buildings and ban a sale of certain goods for awhile (could do some real damage during a MP game), torture, inquisitions.

^^The top three offices do have a lot of power but as you can see other offices have substantial power as well.

Being head torturer and magistrate combo you can torture to falsify tons of evidence then possibly get a death sentence on the poor bugger in court.

^^just find patterns and use all the office privileges and see how they work. Maybe you will find your own political combo that works well for you :)

Offline Kagus

• Reputation Power:
Re: Importance of a full city council.
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2014, 21:44:45 »
Public offices serve absolutely no purpose for the city at large, with the singular exception of the chief magistrate/equivalent to preside over court cases.  Nothing runs any worse and nothing is diminished or restricted.  The public offices are basically just tools to get some extra pocket-lining and take great big dumps on your competitors.

So, for the sake of your town?  There's really nothing the layman misses out on by not having anybody filling government offices, except for the aforementioned court judge.  It's probably not social commentary on the state of the modern world...

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
Re: Importance of a full city council.
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2014, 23:39:27 »
This is something I'd like to see differ in The Guild 3.  It seems like there's opportunity in the game's political system and just the gameplay in general to create situations where a town's prosperity or lack thereof is dependent on player (or AI) decisions.  The game tracks unemployment rates, for example.  This could be an area where a certain political position could be in charge of selecting certain policies or emphases in the town to address employment.  Similarly, as is the case in Europa 1400, the town guard could be more critical to crime rates, which could have an impact on the attractiveness of the town to outside traders, etc.