Shoutbox

Author Topic: Alpha funding?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
Alpha funding?
« on: 19 January 2012, 14:47:42 »
Hi Devs,

I'm curious if you've considered doing alpha funding through something like Desura?  I suspect Kontor will be at least as good as most of the alpha funding games there, and my sense is that you could start bringing in money while you make the game as well as expose it to a larger audience than you might otherwise be able to do so. 

That said, I realize not all developers are fond of the alpha model, so I certainly understand if you feel it won't work for Kontor.

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
Re: Alpha funding?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2012, 15:05:56 »
The problem is that our development progress is quite slow at the moment. We are a lot of people but often many things depend on a certain task that takes more time because the guy(s) working on it has/have a lot of other work to do.

In order to use alpha fundings we should be able to make some more precise assumptions than "when it's done" or "when we have the time to", I think.  Of course we could need help (let's be more honest: money) to speed things up, but then we would have to promise things we can't keep.

That doesn't mean that we won't use things like alpha fundings somewhere in the future, when the project is mature enough to show something and to keep more people interested.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: 19 January 2012, 16:28:46 by FH »

Offline General Chaos

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2012, 15:12:36 »
Ah, that's uderstandable.  I respect developers that don't want to string potential customers along.  Trust me though, if I had the money I would personally fund Runeforge.  Actually, my goal is to assemble an indie development house within the next 10 years.  Perhaps I'll be in touch with some of you when I do.

In any case I will continue to eagerly anticipate Kontor.  It will be one of a kind.

Offline reaper200

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2012, 01:50:23 »
What about using Kickstarter? Dounble Fine have been in the news past week for rasing almost $2 million on Kickstarter so they can make an old style Adventure Game. I pledged $100 to them myself cause I'd love to see that project happen just as I would love this game aswell. You could offer the finished game as a reward so it will be like a preorder and in return you'd get the money beforehand and so be able to invest it in to the game to make it better?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/09/graph-how-double-fine-raised-450000-for-an-adventure-game-in-eight-hours/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Watch the video to get an idea of what Kickstarter is all about. You could make a video like this if you wanted and explain to people about Kontor. I think it could work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSteVDn78s
« Last Edit: 28 February 2012, 01:56:00 by reaper200 »

Offline Wakko

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2012, 20:12:50 »
reaper200, thats not a bad idea. I hope the devs look into it!

Offline Gaax

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2012, 01:14:19 »
thats a great idea

Offline Sir Rogers

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2012, 07:08:40 »
The problem is people misunderstand Kickstarter, yes there was a huge hype about DoubleFine, but they've also been doing this for a long while, their supporter rewards are amazing and their CEO is a mini-star and very well networked. There are a lot of factors that contributed to that success, it's not your usual Kickstarter project/story.

Sure it could work they could raise some money, but it wouldn't make a big difference, besides considering the amount of time and money they would have to put into preparing a properly presented Kickstarter project is something you have to consider as well. And yes I have advised numerous people on this before, and I'm posting here because those are some common mistakes that people made so far.

Regards,
Sir Rogers

quarterly