Shoutbox

Author Topic: Fundings?  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Softmuppen

• Reputation Power:
Fundings?
« on: 03 April 2012, 12:42:38 »
Why dont you devs create a Kickstarter project to help out with the fundings? Hire more people for a faster release? Just saying :)

Offline KaiserDark

• Reputation Power:
  • GYM ?! Was ist ein GYM ?
Re: Fundings?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2012, 13:12:24 »
Maybe we will, but i think not before we have a solid engine-basis (actually working on and we hope sooner or later to show first results).

Offline Gaax

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2012, 01:05:29 »
how about a donation page? Im sure someone would like to give you a few coins so you can work more often on the project :p

Offline FH

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power:
    • Runeforge Game Studio
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2012, 12:35:48 »
There is a donation page, well hid so people really have to search for it.
The plan is to show the donation page on a more prominent place as soon as we have something to show, so the risk for you folks to support a never-finished project isn't that big.

Offline HP_civ

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2012, 23:24:45 »
Wow that's actually pretty cool of you, runeforge :-)

By the way, would buying the Guild 2: Renaissance on steam summer sale help you (much) ?
I was about to get it but heard about the developement of Kontor on the process of getting infos about Ren.

Offline H.-P.

• Community Manager
  • Reputation Power:
    • blackshuck.de
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2012, 00:44:27 »
As it is common in the games industry, we get fully paid with the delivery of the gold master of renaissance. It is uncommon that a developer has a share on the sales.
To answer your question directly: We will get nothing from your purchase but on the other hand its a good game and its worth to be bought to play it  ;)

Offline HP_civ

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2012, 11:17:51 »
All right, thanks for the info :-)

Offline Roh

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2012, 19:52:32 »
Is Kontor owned entirely by the developers at this point? With the way digital releases are now couldn't they keep all the rights and make their own deals with distributors like IndieDB? Or sell it directly from their own page? If this is possible and desirable I am sure they plan to. I am only asking for my own education. ;)

Offline fl1guy2

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2013, 13:59:35 »
Roh it most definitely can be done without going through a publisher or maybe just find one owned by a Guild fan. A surprising amount of game devs don't use them anymore. Heck look at Trevor Chan with Capitalism plus and Capitalism Lab. Cap. Lab was release on their own site and still sells very well.

And again the reasoning makes no sense. Why are you guys writing an entirely new engine? There's so many great engines for any scripting language the team wants to use. And there are extremely powerful open source engines too that could be used. And the open source usually allow using it for commercial purposes.

Why go through all the stress and work to reinvent the wheel? Doesn't the wheel all ready do that just fine?

Even if the open source won't work, you can buy a team copy of a top rated engine that will do everything you'll need it to for less than a couple grand. You guys don't realize it's called an investment not a loss. And you can continue to use the engine software as long as you wish. On top of that the pre-made ones will save a TON of time.

You own Kontor so you won't have to make the game without getting paid like in Renaissance. Which we all appreciate greatly. But still there's money in making this for the entire team, I'd personally be willing to pay $30 for the finished game. But trying to make every single part by yourselves in such a small non-dedicated team is just asking to get burned out which seems exactly what happened.

Offline laser50

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2013, 15:39:42 »
Roh it most definitely can be done without going through a publisher or maybe just find one owned by a Guild fan. A surprising amount of game devs don't use them anymore. Heck look at Trevor Chan with Capitalism plus and Capitalism Lab. Cap. Lab was release on their own site and still sells very well.

And again the reasoning makes no sense. Why are you guys writing an entirely new engine? There's so many great engines for any scripting language the team wants to use. And there are extremely powerful open source engines too that could be used. And the open source usually allow using it for commercial purposes.

Why go through all the stress and work to reinvent the wheel? Doesn't the wheel all ready do that just fine?

Even if the open source won't work, you can buy a team copy of a top rated engine that will do everything you'll need it to for less than a couple grand. You guys don't realize it's called an investment not a loss. And you can continue to use the engine software as long as you wish. On top of that the pre-made ones will save a TON of time.

You own Kontor so you won't have to make the game without getting paid like in Renaissance. Which we all appreciate greatly. But still there's money in making this for the entire team, I'd personally be willing to pay $30 for the finished game. But trying to make every single part by yourselves in such a small non-dedicated team is just asking to get burned out which seems exactly what happened.

My guess is nobody was stupid and kickstarter was actually considered, however the developers are probably spending more time with work and a life that Kontor has simply taken a slowdown.
beside that, not everyone has the will, or the funds to make such "Investment". Why don't you do it for them? I guess your answer says enough there.

Offline Apollo

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2013, 15:50:06 »
yeah, its possible if you can pre order to gain funding.
but I guess when kontor  is release if possible its probably a bit bad,  like other games that took a lot of years when they are released the game engine are obsolete since it took a lot of years in making. kontor is probably two years already expect another two years for progress since the developers are indie or doing it at their free time.

Offline McCoy!

• Supporter
  • Reputation Power:
  • Master Thief
    • The Guild 2 - Reniassance Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2013, 03:39:55 »
2 years? You are very optimistic in your assessment hahaha

Offline Apollo

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2013, 10:43:09 »
2 years? You are very optimistic in your assessment hahaha

Well it was announced around summer 2011

Offline TheLogan

• Reputation Power:
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2014, 16:27:11 »
Well, they could go with unity3D
the basic version is like 0$ there is a pro version for 1500$ or 70$ a month subscription. But at least for the start of the project, the 0$ version is fine, and it can be used commercially (as long as one doesn't earn >100.000$ a year if I remember correctly).

The engine itself is very intelligently designed, I've tried some other engines too, like udk and torque, and unity is just so much more user-friendly, both for programmers but also for artists and designers. But despite being user-friendly it isn't dumbed down, it gives the user a lot of control and power to do their own thing the way they want to.

I've actually heard other programmers complain that it's boring to work with unity because it does so much for you, but honestly that's why I like it, if it can do all the basic stuff like basic rendering, gameobject management, etc. so I can program the game instead, I'm happy :P

Also for kickstarter, I have no idea how kickstarting projects look post-oculus, however if they haven't destroyed crowd funding completely, I really think you should look into it, it's a good way to avoid having your baby taken away by evil publishers, and allows you to focus more on the development part. Afterwards you can then look at the different digital publishing platforms like well, especially Steam but also Desura, GoG and others. Admittedly Steam is still by far the largest, but there are others out there too that take a way smaller cut than ye olde publishing behemoths, and still get your games out to a sizable amount of gamers.
Anyway, just my 2 cents on the matter.

P.S. I have no affiliation with unity what so ever, I've just been using their engine for the last 4-5 years =)